transducer n : an electrical device that converts one form of energy into another
A transducer is a device, usually electrical, electronic, electro-mechanical, electromagnetic, photonic, or photovoltaic that converts one type of energy or physical attribute to another for various purposes including measurement or information transfer (for example, pressure sensors).
The term transducer is commonly used in two senses; the sensor, used to detect a parameter in one form and report it in another (usually an electrical or digital signal), and the audio loudspeaker, which converts electrical voltage variations representing music or speech, to mechanical cone vibration and hence vibrates air molecules creating acoustical energy.
Types of transducersThis list is confined to the narrower definition of the term.
- Antenna - converts electromagnetic waves into electric current and vice versa.
- Cathode ray tube (CRT) - converts electrical signals into visual form
- Fluorescent lamp, light bulb - converts electrical power into visible light
- Magnetic cartridge - converts motion into electrical form
- Photodetector or Photoresistor (LDR) - converts changes in light levels into resistance changes
- Tape head - converts changing magnetic fields into electrical form
- Hall effect sensor - converts a magnetic field level into electrical form only.
- Electromechanical (electromechanical output devices are generically called actuators):
- Geophone - convert a ground movement (displacement) into voltage
- Gramophone pick-up
- Hydrophone - converts changes in water pressure into an electrical form
- Loudspeaker, earphone - converts changes in electrical signals into acoustic form
- Microphone - converts changes in air pressure into an electrical signal
- Piezoelectric crystal - converts pressure changes into electrical form
- Tactile transducer
- J. Allocca and A. Stuart, Transducers: Theory and Application, Reston 1984.
transducer in Bengali: পরিবর্তক
transducer in Danish: Transducer
transducer in German: Sensor
transducer in Spanish: Transductor
transducer in French: Transducteur
transducer in Italian: Trasduttore
transducer in Hebrew: מתמר
transducer in Malay (macrolanguage): Pemindah
transducer in Dutch: Transducent
transducer in Japanese: トランスデューサー
transducer in Norwegian Nynorsk: Transdusar
transducer in Portuguese: Transdutor
transducer in Sundanese: Transduser